Friday, June 5, 2009

Potty Time!!!!

So Alethea finally decided it was time to take matters into her own hands. I've been procrastinating the potty training responsibilities and just saying that I'll wait for her to come up to me, inform me that she needs to go and holds it until I get her on the potty. Up until yesterday she was telling me AFTER she had finished her business. Sometimes after she'd gone a few times in her pull ups. But recently she's been telling us after each and EVERY time she goes. Then she'd want to be changed. I knew it was going to be soon. Then yesterday it happened.

"Mommy, you pee-pee in the potty?" says Alethea.

"What? You gotta go pee-pee?" says Mommy.

"Yeah, I pee-pee big girl potty." says Alethea.

"Ok, let's go! Hurry, hurry!!" says Mommy as she rushes Alethea to the bathroom. Once inside, pull ups come down, potty seat is placed on toilet, and Alethea's tush is placed on it.

After a bit of waiting and smiles, Alethea remarks that it's coming.

"It's coming. It's coming. IT'S COMING!!!" As she squeaks and shrieks with delight we hear the telltale sounds of liquid hitting liquid. She screams every time she lets some out. A little at a time at first, since the sensation of going where there seems to be no "protection" such as her diaper is so new and unfamiliar. We're in there for about 5 minutes before she's done. She takes a little while to get accustomed to the feeling, which is understandable. In those 5 minutes I manage to take a few photos (no, not as a voyeur. Just gotta capture the milestone). I also record her for a couple minutes, because her shrieks and excitement must be remembered. Hey, if she doesn't want it when she's older, I'll delete it. No biggie.

Each time Alethea lets go, you can see the pride and excitement in her face, which is full of smiles. I'm proud of her, to be sure. She's growing up. But I secretly think to myself, "my litte baby's growing up".

I have a moment of nostalgia, thinking of how she's no longer my little baby. I remember when she was born. Her cute little button nose and trusting eyes. That precious new baby smell. The way she felt in my arms. When she wrapped her little fingers around mine for that first baby hand shake, as if to say, "I trust you completely, Mommy." Her first smile. Her first laugh. And when she got her first teeth at 3 months, and started crawling at 6 months. Watching her little tush as she glided across the floor. Then when she pulled herself to stand and was soon walking at 9 months. Watching her first timid steps to her more confident saunters. Then running. Running away from me. Running to explore new things. A tug at my heart. My heart whispers, "my baby" with longing. She's growing up so fast.

Soon she'll be school age and speaking much clearer, asserting her independence as a tween and later wanting to date as a teen, then before I know it, she'll be all grown up and out there in the world. I hope the world will treat her kindly. I hope I will have taught her well; done the best that I could do for her. I hope that throught all that may come, she will still remain my little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment